Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Technology At My Cooperating School

When I asked my cooperating teacher about the available technology at the school I will be student teaching at in the Fall she responded that the school was in a difficult position. The school is "behind the 8-ball" when it comes to technology and does not own many technological advances. She reported that the school has one Smartboard, which is located in the library and, reportedly, is not very accessible. In one special education class Kurzwiel is used. Kurzwiel is a print to speech reading software that assists people who have reading disabilities and blindness.  In my cooperating teacher's classroom there are 5 desktop computers that students frequently use. Despite this lack of technology at the school, I believe my cooperating teacher makes the best out of the situation as students are still exposed to computers and software programs. Having a Smartboard in every classroom, after-all, is a luxury that all schools do not have. I am excited to talk to my cooperating teacher more about alternate rootsto using technology. We have already briefly discussed using Bookshare, a resource committed to making printed works accessible to individuals with disabilities

No comments:

Post a Comment